Thursday, September 22, 2011

IN SEARCH OF BREZEL AND PERFECTING THE DRESS

"Why waltz with a guy for 10 rounds if you can knock him out in one?" ~ Rocky Maciano

This weekend I will be going to an Oktoberfest party (more like another Septemberfest but close enough) and am on the hunt for BREZEL. Not a wealth of German/Austrian markets in our fine French city but I was able to locate a couple.



I also need to have a dress altered for an upcoming formal military mess dinner (I think when it is a couple thing it's referred to as a 'candle light') and since the dress maker is in the same area as one of my German finds thought I would kill two birds with one stone.  Actually three, as there is a friend who I haven't seen in ages so arranged to meet her for a coffee as well.

It's a really pretty dress but unfortunately my 'cargo' has shifted in flight so it needs some (hopefully) minor alterations.  I have been told this dressmaker is a miracle worker - he may need to be.

So on today's agenda was a trip to Boulangerie Atlantique (http:www.boucherieatlantique.ca/). I would never have guessed by the name that it was a German market but found it through a couple of local forums. Search for brezel aside, I fell totally in love with the website. At first click I was treated to the lilting strains of Strauss' Blue Danube.  I must have remained on the site a good 10 minutes just listening to the music. Such memories (most of them pleasant) of my piano teacher with his wooden pointer tapping the rhythm (sometimes on my knuckles) as I played this piece.

The boulangerie was such an amazing find.  They didn't have any brezel left (apparently you have to shop early in the day to be able to snag some of these beauties) but I have ordered some for Saturday.  Plus they have the right sausage (Weisswurst) and sweet mustard.  I just had to get one link so I could try it out.

 I was given instructions on how to properly cook the little dear so as not to tear the casing.

 ...and voila...success! Apparently too, there is a specific way of eating Weisswurst so will do some reading up on the proper method before the weekend.

Had a great time catching up with my dear friend over coffee with plans to get together again very soon. 
 
Am hoping the dress can be altered in time for the formal evening.  Maybe there will be an accompanying dance. Maybe there will be a waltz or two so I can float around the floor with my handsome officer......(insert  big sigh here....sigh!....).
  




......thanks again Marcus for your input.