Thursday, February 23, 2012

Day 10: PLANNING MY ESCAPE


...Another beautiful sunny hot, humid, cloudless day . A light breeze cools me while I plan my first big solo adventure out into the big city of Accra....

1. First priority will be to secure reliable, safe transportation:

Spoke to the hotel taxi man last evening.  Discussed prices.  I can hire his services for the day for a fixed fee plus gas costs. I now have his name and contact #. 
I also had a very pleasant discussion with the hotel concierge this morning who gave me some very good ideas of places to visit and a city map.
Since arriving I have gotten into the habit of asking opinions...the server at dinnertime: what is your favourite dish, favourite dessert. So far I have not been disappointed. 
So I asked the concierge, out of these 4 similar venues which would you suggest. 
He replied that all but one were similar but the one he suggested was 'unique'. Interest piqued!
Now have his name and contact#.
...check...

2. Prioritize what I would like to see:

We had a great overview of the city last weekend, highligting the main tourist attractions. Weekends, when the guys don't teach there are day outings planned outside Accra.  So if this can include seeing monkeys I will be very happy. TBD.  So my plan is to include on my little expedition, a little culture and a little shopping or a lot of both - whatever I can fit into 1 or 2 day outings.
...check...check...

3. Make my list according to location:

All 3 the places I would like to visit are in the same area of Accra and not far from our hotel. They all fit the above interest criteria
...check...check...check


As tomorrow is the beginning of our weekend (remember Triple 'S' Days?), there may not be much blogging.  Big trip to Elmina and we may get to see some monkeys at the Tafi- Atome Sanctuary.  Big TBD for the monkeys but I remain hopeful.