Thursday, August 11, 2011

Cité de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine

This visit has become one of my top three favourites. Located in the Palais de Chaillot on Place Trocadéro near the Eiffel Tower it is the biggest architectural centre in the world.  It  houses collections from the Middle Ages through to present day with displays of some of the greatest masterpieces of French architecture.- relating architecture with other disciplines such as art, cinema, photography, design and fashion.









Even though it didn't open until 11:00 I went early knowing that because of its proximity to the Eiffel Tower, the metro and Trocadéro Square would be packed with visitors.  Wandered around the gardens for a while (away from the hoards) then stopped at a nearby café. 




A little about ordering coffee here. I think, Pegasus, you will relate.  I have ordered café au lait and was corrected with non  madame, café crème.  When I order café crème I get corrected again with café au lait.  This is a lot like Pegasus` experience with café express .  And I now agree, they're just messin' with me.  Much rather sit quietly in my little place though than face the line-ups at Starbucks - a dead give away that one is a tourist, non?



I purchased, for an extra 3 euro the parcours visioguide - not the usual audio guide that is  available in most museums.  A device the size of a blackberry it gives audio explanation along with a slide show of extra information.  A stark contrast to the visitors crowding Trocaadero Square I was virtually alone here.  Maybe exagerating a bit - there may have been 6 other people.

The first floor houses the exhibits showing a chronological journey through France's architectural history between the 12th and 18th centuries. Some models, some actual size.






 On the second level is the gallery of modern and contemporary architecture. Detailed displays show - through models, film, photographs, books and origianl documents - France's architectural develpment from 1851 through to present day.  Two main sections focused on designing & building and architecture & society.
 
The upper level housed a history of wall paintings and stained glass. I wasn't allowed to use the flash on my camera so pictures of the two upper levels were very dark.  Disappointing as the contemporary section was by far my favourite.  My memory of this part will have to be my souvenir.






...and last but not at all least.....the angel.....ta da!......Gabriel?.....