Saturday, August 20, 2011

Moving out - moving in

This will be Francois` 3rd and final day in Compienge and my day to leave our studio and move into the hotel across the street. I started my day early taking one valise at a time down the tiny elevator.  Started with our smallest bag – no problem.  Next largest still not much of a problem.  Next two were a different story.  The elevator is about 18`x 18` and our two largest bags it would seem just a bit larger.  The 3rd bag was a challenge but I succeeded wedging it in sideways.  Can`t imagine what the desk clerk at our hotel must have been thinking.  By the fourth bag I was encouraged but as I pulled it into the elevator (me first but should have done it in reverse) it got stuck on the little carpet outside our apartment door.  So rollers on the bag would not go forward or backward.  Door of the elevator couldn`t close because the carpet was in the way.  I couldn`t get out as, of course I hadn`t thought ahead to maybe push the bag in first.  Climbed over the bag, unhooked the carpet and voila, done! Whew.
As this was still early morning and our hotel room wouldn`t be available until 13:00h I went shopping in search of a bag to transport our Dali litho.  Thanks to our landlord, Bernard, I found one in a very nice department store – Bazarre Hotel de Ville – otherwise referred to here as BHV.

Enjoyed a very pleasant lunch then headed back to check-in to our hotel.  I was very pleased with the room.  Thankfully all four bags were already in the room. Not the usual European-size I had previously experienced.
Our hotel room - view from street

View from Hotel room

Four steps up to bed/bath area

Little coffee/tea bar


Little sitting room


Hmm! Nice touch!

Bath with plush robes



But it was not our previous place.  Francois made the comment that after renting the studio he is not sure he will ever again be totally satisfied with staying in a hotel anywhere no matter now nice it is.

Francois arrived back from Compienge early evening.  Rushed back to the hotel. Rushed to change into his CF's (green military suit). Rushed back to the school for a dinner with the other professeurs.  Fortunately it wasn't a late evening for him as tomorrow we will both have to start early.